White Bean Hummus & Asiago Pizza
- Photo and Recipe courtesy of <a href='http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/' target='_blank'>Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.</a>
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 6 pizzas
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1-2/3 cups warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 3-3/4 cups flour, divided
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cups thinly sliced onions, separated into rings
- 3/4 c. Asiago cheese, grated
- 3/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, shaved
White Bean Hummus
- For the pizza dough, dissolve the sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in the flours, salt, and oil to form a soft, wet dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
- Add enough of the remaining flour, one tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat the top. Cover the dough, and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions; roll each portion of dough into a 7-inch circle. Place the pizza crusts on preheated pizza stones or large baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Top and bake according to the recipe directions.
- For the hummus, place all of the ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- For the toppings and assembly, preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions; cover and cook 10 minutes or until deep golden, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Top each prepared crust with 1/2 cup of the onions. Sprinkle with the Asiago and feta cheeses. Bake for 8 minutes or until the crusts are crisp. While the pizza is cooking, combine the arugula and the vinegar in a medium bowl. Remove the pizza from the oven; drizzle each with 2 tablespoons of the hummus. Top each pizza with the arugula mixture and the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.